If you own an older house that contains significant amounts of brickwork it behooves you to have that brickwork assessed from time to time to determine its structural integrity. Cummins Restorations are the #1 choice for the analysis of masonry in Toronto. We identify potential areas of concern in order to stave off problems and identify and fix small problems before they blossom into serious ones that could undermine the integrity of the home itself. But just what are some of the signs we look for that indicate a problem exists or may develop?
Analyzing Masonry in Toronto Homes to Stave off Problems
There are a number of things expert masons look for when analyzing the health of your home’s brickwork. They include:
- Deterioration of the bricks: During a masonry inspection we may discover your bricks are cracking or otherwise disintegrating prematurely. Some possible causes for this include excessive moisture entering the brickwork through failed mortar joints, the house settling unevenly and a mortar used in previous repointing efforts that is harder than the brick itself.
- Erosion of the brick: If you’ve had your home pressure washed or sand-blasted this can weaken the integrity of the bricks and hasten the process of erosion. Bricks often have a kind of crust to them that protects the softer interior from the elements. Sandblasting or power washing the brickwork can strip off this protective coating and expose the brick to erosion.
- Degradation of the mortar: On many older homes the mortar between the bricks will have come loose and even fallen out completely in some places. Repointing the mortar is then called for and carried out by properly trained stone masons. Finding and fixing degraded mortar is a major component of our masonry Toronto brickwork analysis and repair.
- Assessing the seriousness of dirt, debris and moss coverage: There is no way to prevent exterior brickwork from getting dirty and from attracting moss and mold. The thing the brickwork analysis is looking for is whether the degree of dirt and moss has somehow compromised the surface of the bricks. If it hasn’t it will likely be left as is. If it is found to be somehow damaging the brickwork it should be removed in a non-destructive manner.
- Structural issues: An inspection of your home’s brickwork will also focus on identifying any real or potential structural issues within the brickwork itself. Is the brick wall bowing outward? Even slightly? Are there stair step cracks in the brickwork? Have some parts of the exterior brickwork collapsed? Following the analysis the masonry expert will provide recommendations for prompt repair and restoration of your home’s brickwork.
Cummins Restorations has been helping homeowners across the GTA maintain the long-term health of their brickwork, and by extension their homes, since 1991. We’re the masonry Toronto experts more residents choose than any other and we’re proud of the fact. Give us a call on (416) 992-7965 to find out more about having your home’s brickwork analyzed or to discuss an upcoming masonry project. We’re here to help.