Although it’s one of the oldest construction professions in the world, masonry repair contractors are still very much in demand. These contractors have knowledge of a vast range of building and construction techniques and if some of the mortar joints on your property have separated or the brickwork is damaged, you will need one to resolve these problems. However, it’s not just a case of calling the first masonry repair contractor you come across in a phone book or on a Google search results page, you have to carefully consider which contractor to hire, otherwise you could end up either getting ripped off or being on the receiving end of sub-standard work. If you’re not sure what steps you can take to mitigate that risk, we’re going to provide you with a number of tips during this post.
Steps to Finding a Masonry Repair Contractor in Toronto That You Can Trust
The internet has made it easier than ever before to get in touch with home contractors, but it’s also increased the number of scammers out there, so watch out. Follow the steps laid out below to increase your chances of locating a quality masonry repair contractor in Toronto.
- Ask for Recommendations – Before you scour the phone directory or take to the internet, first contact trusted friends and family members and make some enquiries as to whether they’ve used a masonry repair contractor in the recent past. If they have, ask them what their experience with them was like, and if it was positive, this should be the first contractor that you get in touch with. Personal recommendations are the easiest way to find a contractor capable of quality masonry repair work.
- Contact Multiple Contractors – You should never contact just one contractor, as that gives you very little data with which to make your decision. Instead, make sure you contact several at the least, carefully explain the work you need doing and then ask for an estimate. You should also enquire about their availability and should one contractor low-ball you, remove them from your list right away.
- Ask Questions – Just because you might not be an expert in masonry repair, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t ask questions about the work that you need doing. This will usually help you to gauge how qualified the contractor is. This also allows you to assess how strong their communication skills are and how responsive they are likely to be if you do choose to hire them.
- Ask for References – If you don’t know anyone that has used a particular contractor, references are the next best thing. Any savvy masonry repair contractor knows that positive references are likely to help sell their services, so if they seem even a little hesitant to provide you with any, you should probably move on to the other contractors on your list.
- Check with the BBB – Your local Better Business Bureau acts as a mediator in the event that a dispute arises between a customer and a local contractor. They keep a record of such disputes and before deciding who to hire for the masonry repair work that you require, we would advise you to check whether there are any outstanding disputes against each contractor on your list. Those that haven’t resolved a dispute may not be the best choice.
- Ask for a Clear Timeline – It’s important to ask the contractor for a clear timeline upfront, otherwise you could end up waiting around for a considerable period. It’s also important to ask whether the contractor will provide you with a written estimate that clearly outlines the work being done, the amount quoted and the advised completion date. Failing to do this can cause a lot of problems further down the line.